Thursday, April 9, 2009

Adult ADD?? or OCD?? or just plain craziness?

So, I learned something about myself today. Today was the first day since, oh, probably Christmas, that I had absolutely nothing I had to do nor anywhere I had to go. Most people would relish in the joy of having an entire day to do whatever they please. However, I found myself going nuts!!! I discovered that I really don't know how to relax anymore. I have gotten so accustomed to always having a lengthy "To Do List" with more items on it than time in the day, that I don't know what to do when there is not a list. I tried to sit outside in the sun and just take in the gorgeous weather, but I found myself thinking of things I could fill my time with. TV? No. Shopping? No. Computer? No. Reading? No. Cleaning? Already done. Cooking? Did that yesterday. Play with dog? Already wore her out. Call friends? Their all at work. So what did I do, I went and aimlessly walked around all the local nurseries looking for flowers to plant. Did I buy any, of course not! Those who know me understand that I am a terrible decision maker when it comes to petty decisions. So I came home, and pondered the fact that I have a terrible time just being, yet I love when I can "just be." So, what is wrong with me?? I think part of it stems from the fact that I work in a career that never, EVER, stops. Even when I track-out, there is always something on the back burner to be done. If I am not at school, I am usually at home doing work or thinking about school. When I am at school, I am teaching, while trying to assess whether they are grasping the material, keeping my eye on Susie who sends love notes in class, Timmy who tends to wet his pants, Rico who draws gang pictures, Bob who is a slow reader and needs four repititions, Sally who tends to stare at a blank wall all day, Joe who has anger issues and wants to punch his neighbor any chance he gets, thinking about the fact that I have thirty minutes of material to fit into fifteen minutes so I can get the kids to lunch on time in order to stop by the media center and pick up the books for science I requested and sign up for the projector I need next Monday, check my mailbox and attempt to sort through the piles of papers put in there, check emails from a parent who emails me 5 times a day, attempt to eat a cup of applesauce for lunch, run back up to the office and talk to the secretary about the 24th professional development day I have to attend, and try to be back to the cafeteria in twenty-five minutes to get the kids. Oh did I mention I have to attempt to go to the bathroom sometime in there as well??? I have come to the conclusion that my job has created Adult ADD in me. My brain feels as though it must run in 20 different directions in order to function. So, I made a resolution today (yes, I know it's not New Years, but hey, we all work at our own pace). . . . I am going to have one day a month without a "To Do List." I can just be me!! Oh dear. . . what will I do when I have children?????

3 comments:

  1. Hello, dear! I found your blog today and I think it's a wonderful idea. I keep one, too... it's good to know what's going on in people's lives even when we don't have time to call.

    A suggestion for "down time" days-- I have the same problem with relaxing (can't sit still for anything) unless I have a good book to read. It occupies your mind and lets you relax while you do something with mental stimulation. ^_^ Try Fannie Flagg's Standing in the Rainbow, it's a good one. ^_^

    Miss you and love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: That would be Jo. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. You get to come to see us for your "you day" in May!!! Whoo hoo!

    ReplyDelete